Copy Right: All pictures and designs are the rights of individual shops. ETT has received permission to use their photos and information for our blogs. Permission must be obtained from the individual shops in order to use their items. Written portion of the blog must be received by the writer of ETT blog.

Monday, July 12, 2010

Shop of the Week – smutopia

Washed Ashore - Fringed Starfish Medallion Necklace by smutopia
Our EtsyTwitter Team Shop of the Week is smutopia (smoo-topia), which offers jewelry and accessories by Jessica Smutek. Jessica uses primarily stone, glass and metal beads and components in her work. There is such a variety of materials and techniques, she told me, that it is impossible for her to get bored! She says she “has always been inspired by the diversity of nature--so much so that when looking at my collection as a whole nearly every design falls into one of three categories: Sea, Earth, or Sky.” Her inspiration is very personal and so her art is very personal. As she puts it “Each piece I create is a reflection of the beauty I see in the world around me. I love the thought that my designs are bringing the beauty of nature to my customers’ as they are worn.”

On the business side, Jessica has some modest sales goals in mind for the year, but her artistic goal is to use more of her own lampwork glass beads in the designs she sells on Etsy. “I began making my own lampwork beads in April of this year and am completely hooked! I hope to introduce smutopia Jewelry made with ‘beads by Smu’ sometime in the next few months.

This summer, she’ll not only be working on improving her lampwork skills with the torch, but plans to get out and do some up close and personal collecting of materials. “Think beachcombing”, she says. Later, in the fall, she plans to set up the “smutopia traveling road show” at the Designers Downtown Market in Raleigh in September and November of 2010.

In the meantime, she’ll keep tweeting. Her Twitter philosophy? “Interact with people! Promote others, or offer advice and feedback. You’ll attract followers in greater numbers if you’re more than just a self-promotion machine.” Jessica feels that listing new items is the best way to bring sales to her shop “I find that keeping my inventory fresh keeps the gears turning by bringing in new customers from the Etsy homepage/categories, giving returning customers a reason to check in, and by giving me something new to promote through my social media connections.”

Flowers for your Finger Bauble Ring by smutopia
smutopia is offering a Shop of the Week
special from July 12-18:
a free zipper-pull charm with every purchase!
PLUS, through the end of July:
FREE Domestic AND International Shipping
~~~~~~~
Etsy Shop: http://smutopia.etsy.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/smutopiaJewelry
Facebook: http://facebook.com/smutopia
Blog: http://smutopia.blogspot.com


Written by Judy of WellspringCreations

2 comments:

Robin Pedrero said...

I love this quote “Each piece I create is a reflection of the beauty I see in the world around me. I love the thought that my designs are bringing the beauty of nature to my customers’ as they are worn.”
Great works!

BBesigns said...

Beautiful I just posted this on my blog

Blog Archive